Art Analysis

 


Skeletal Baby’s Breath

 

I was drawn to this piece when I stopped at a restaurant in Anchorage and purchased it. I was drawn to the depth of emotion the piece carries and the name “Skeletal Baby’s Breath.” The lines vary throughout the piece; some are bold and dark, while others are fine and dainty. Take the ribs, for example; the dark/bold lines create a 3-D effect, almost like I can reach into her ribs. The hair has finer lines that create softness around the face, and it is almost as if you can feel how soft her hair is. The artist then has baby’s breath flowers where the lines are white, creating bold yet soft and gentle visual effects. The shape of her body and face are well pronounced with moderately bold lines, while faint lines define her chin and neck.

            I see two geometric shapes in this art piece: the rectangle of the print and the circle of gold that could represent the sun and the moon. The organic shapes are found in the baby’s breath flowers, the shape of her hair, and the transition to the bottom of the art piece. I love the balance in using geometric and organic shapes within this piece. 

            The color I am drawn to first is the lavender hair that contrasts perfectly with the pink skin tone. The gold draws warmth and portrays the sun ideally in the background. The white background transitions into dark green baby’s breath stems. I like how bright the colors stand out with a white background. When the sun shines on it, the gold shimmers beautifully. 

The gold provides 3-D depth to the ribcage while shining bright behind the woman. The white background gives the feeling of “eternity,” while the gold grants the feeling of “real.” Creating the broken frame within the frame was thoughtful and fits nicely with this art piece; overlapping was used throughout this art. The use of baby’s breath flowers brings gentleness and femininity to the art despite the pain I feel from it.

From my perspective, this piece is poetically and beautifully painful; the artist did a great job. After losing my youngest daughter in 2015, healing came in many forms and this is one of the ways. My daughter's middle name was "Solara" which means "The Sun". The artist is unknown.

Comments

  1. Hi Cara! This is a cool work of art. The expression on the woman's face and the positioning of her body contribute a lot to the emotion in this piece. I like the way lines are used. The lines defining the woman are sharp, while the lines of the flowers are much softer. I also noticed the negative shapes of the tree and leaves in the sun. I thought these shapes were a good way to add details to the background without distracting the viewer from the rest of the art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara; This piece is breathtaking, The 3-D effect with the ribs is great. The different shades in what I also believe is the moon and sun are amazing and the color conversion is magical. The darkness in the hands, almost blood like to me shows the pain. While the baby breath usually is a sign of purity, innocence, hope and new beginnings. I am so sorry for your loss of your daughter "Solara". We all heal in many different ways and I can't imagine you will ever heal but I hope her memory always brings a smile and laughter before it brings tears. Great piece of art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1st Blog-Introduction

Baroque Blog