Baroque Blog

                                 The Conversion on the Way to Damascus, by Caravaggio, 1601.



            I chose this piece because I love horses, and Caravaggio's painting of Paul in Damascus depicts a horse perfectly. I am familiar with the story of Saul becoming Paul; he went blind and knew Jesus as the coming Savior when his eyesight was restored. What grabbed me was the notion to help Paul from being stepped on by the horse. This painting by Caravaggio is impressive, and I can "feel that it is definitely from the Baroque Era.

            This piece was meant to be portrayed at The Santa Maria del Popolo Chapel in Rome, Italy, and four centuries later, it still is there at the Chapel. It is a large piece, and it was Caravaggio's most extensive art piece, measuring 230cm long and 175cm wide. Deep emotion can be felt in this piece immediately.

            The Baroque Era was right after the Renaissance Era, and the artwork was emotion-filled, whereas, in the Renaissance Era, the artwork was blander, in my opinion. I extended my hand out to stop the horse from stepping on Paul in my mind, not many pieces of art can do that to me.

            This piece is a dark black negative space, and this causes the eyes to see the story for themselves. I am immediately drawn to the horse hooves and legs, defined gently yet extremely boldly by the use of paints. I am then drawn to the red color of Paul's clothing, and that is where I look for the man behind the horse; I can see that by his muscles, he is grabbing the horse away from Paul. If I did not know the story, I would be puzzled as to why Paul did not have a fear-filled face; he had a serene look on his face as Jesus was shining His beautiful light. 

            The details in the horseshoes and bridle make it as though you are looking at the real deal; the metal on the bridle is also shimmering to the light. Despite blending into the darkness, the eye on the horse is not lost to negative space but rather captured perfectly. The wrinkles on the man's forehead are detailed, and the lines are bold yet defining. Paul's hands capture both light and shadow, and there is not one place that I can see that is flawed.  

            The use of colors in this painting provides a rich and bold experience and a calming and serene experience. The red is rich and bold and draws your eyes to the story at the bottom of the painting, while the tan and brown bring the serene and peaceful aspects to the story above. The black negative space blends perfectly with all of the colors used.


Works Cited

 

Wikipedia contributors. "Santa Maria del Popolo." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 6 Sep. 2023. Web. 2 Mar. 2024

 

Gurney, Tom. "Conversion on the Way to Damascus." History of Art, 19 Jun. 2020, www.thehistoryofart.org/caravaggio/conversion-on-the-way-to-damascus/. Accessed 2 Mar. 2024.

 

 

 

Comments

  1. The vivid narrative and the artist's ability to convey emotion through the intricate details make this piece beautiful. The painting excellently embodies the Baroque era, showcasing intense emotions and intricate detailing. The narrative of Paul's conversion is portrayed dynamically, with the horse's impending danger adding urgency. The dark negative space serves as a powerful backdrop, drawing attention to the narrative and enhancing the overall thematic impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your review of Caravaggio's painting, "Conversion on the Way to Damascus". I enjoy the depths of negative space as well. It does take a breath away, as you want to stop the horse from stamping Paul. I noticed the muscles on the bare feet. Even though there are no sandals, you are transported into someone else's shoes. This guy looks humble and hard-working. Only a glimpse of light shines on the man behind the horse. He is mostly in the shadows, and the story is about Saul becoming a believer. However, my curiosity is towards the humble man behind the horse acting with kindness, like Jesus would do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1st Blog-Introduction

Art Analysis